Jul 2, 2008

Our Famous Grandpa Gene




Last night on ESPN Classic they were showing old boxing matches and it just happened to be Gene Fullmer vs. Carmen Basilio for the NBA Middle Weight Title. Anyhow, I told Brooklin to come see who was on tv and I told her that was Grandpa Gene when he was younger. She was hilarious -- she was cheering and really getting into the whole boxing/punching thing. She kept saying, "That's my Grandpa Gene punching that guy."
It is kind of surreal that he was this famous boxer years ago. It's a lot of fun to go into a resturaunt with him and just look at everyone else point and say "that's Gene Fullmer." It's pretty cool to know that's your grandpa!!!
We love you Grandpa and we're so proud of all your accomplishments! You are such a wonderful example of a hardworker, kind, giving, thoughtful, person whom we love so very much.

2 comments:

'T' said...

My grandpa was a boxer also! He boxed in High School, and was in all the operas (well rounded and talented!). When I read this about your grandpa I REALLY wished I could ask my grandpa if he'd ever watched Gene Fullmer box, but he passed on about 5.5 yrs ago. OHHHHH how he loved to box and watch boxing. Loves Tiniel~

Sharley said...

We do have a pretty cool grandpa. We sure do have some great memories of him. Those cousin sleepovers were the best! We need to do a family reunion and go camping somewhere! Let get together and plan something!