Oct 5, 2008

CaMpiNg/ScOuTiNg ELK

*Brooklin in her floods and rain boots*

*Mason eating his new fav treat - deer poop*

*The 5 pt deer I spotted*

*Mason*

*Dirty kiddos*

*The kids fav part - riding in the ranger*

*Our spot for the ride*

*Brooklin all wrapped up in the back of the ranger*

The kids and I tagged along with my parents to go camping/try out the new ranger/try out the new trailer/scout for elk! We left Thurs. afternoon and headed out to the middle of nowhere. We went out past Pioche somewhere, once we arrived at our destination it wasn't so bad.
Mason was in heaven, sitting on the 4 wheeler and playing in the ranger - he couldn't get enough! Brooklin was able to ride her 4 wheeler and not worry about hitting any cars!
So every evening we headed out to scout out the elk and deer. I have never experienced the whole hunting thing so this was new to me. Some new terminology I learned this weekend:
Glassing the mountain: looking at the mountain for deer
Rub: the branches where the deer/elk had rubbed their antlers
I also learned what the difference was between deer/elk tracks and their poop! Mason loved eating the deer poop - we caught him more than once picking up those little droppings. Little stinker!
Anyhow, I was sitting in the back of the ranger and we were cruising along and I looked at the side of the mountain and low and behold, I spotted my first deer. I might add it was a nice looking 5 point and I even took a picture!
Saturday morning my dad and I went spotting for elk. We were at the pivots and we saw a herd of 50-60 elk. I was so excited and of course I forgot my camera. We saw 5 or 6 worthy elk of shooting! It was so awesome to hear them bugling...
We did get rained on all day Saturday so that made for a long day. We went for a drive and got totally lost and our ride ended up being 3 hours long and 2 kiddos got car sick! Thank heavens for the trailer with a dvd player...
I was able to get some crafty things started with all the time we had to do nothing. We left Sunday morning and was kind of ready to get home! Although coming home is the worst part with all the laundry!
All in all we had a great time. It was so nice to get out of town for a few days and out of the heat. I love sweatshirt weather! Thanks mom and dad for letting us tag along, we had fun!
If anyone wants to hire me to scope out a deer for them, let me know - I'm not cheap!!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL oh those boys that is so nasty! sorry but looks like you had fun!

Sharley said...

FUN! I have never gone looking or hunting of rdeer either. I am glad you had fun. We need to see you again. Love ya!

Buddy and Traci said...

Buddy, my dad and my brother were up there too last weekend...my dad's gonna be jealous when I show him that pic of the deer you saw. He was deer hunting and would have loved to have shot that one! We're going back up this weekend. Good luck elk hunting:)

Sher said...

You're always doing some fun things with your kids, what a mom!

Kim and Chet said...

Deer poop...YUM! haha How fun for all of you.

Oh, My blog is back on public!

Anonymous said...

I told her but as you can see she is off private

Lindsay said...

Hey when are you going to Disneyland? We will be their the 1st week in Nov. and can hardly wait:)