Aug 17, 2009

~Returned Home~

My Grandpa Winters lost his battle with cancer this past Saturday. I'm so happy we were able to be up north and see him one last time. When we stopped by to see him on Friday he was able to talk with us but I'm not sure he knew who we were but he tried carrying on a small conversation with us. On Saturday he took a turn for the worst and didn't really come to at all during the day. Around 1 am my dad had called his brothers and sisters and told them grandpa was close and should come to the house. It was a very special, somber experience.. all the kids were at the house when he took his last breath and passed away in his sweethearts arms. It's always hard to say goodbye even when you're expecting it but I know that he's in a better place now and not suffering anymore.I'm so blessed to come from such a wonderful family. I'm glad I was able to be there with my dad and see grandpa one last time.

As I told Brooklin what happened the next morning the conversation went like this...
me: Brooklin, grandpa winters was really sick and he went to heaven last night.
b: I know
me: Next time we go to grandma's house, grandpa won't be there - you won't see him anymore when we come to visit.
b: What's my grandma going to do without a grandpa?
me: She's going to be sad but we need to come visit her so she won't be sad.
b: ok
It was so sweet and innocent. Later on she mentioned that he was in heaven with Charmaine (my mom's dog), we can't forget about Charmaine!!!

I'm going to miss you grandpa! You were such a wonderful example to me in so many things. I love you!


*fathers day 2008*

*thanksgiving 2008*

*thanksgiving november 2008*

*meeting brooklin for the first time - feb 2005*

*march 2005 (brooklin's blessing)*

*mason's blessing - may 2007*

5 comments:

'T' said...

Steph, May you feel the comforter in your life at this time as you are missing your grandpa. How blessed we are to know Heavenly Father's Plan of Happiness. With Love, Tiniel

Shareen said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. At least we know that he is in a better place and happy. The suffering comes on this end. You do have a great family. I know you will miss him dearly.

jcwoods said...

Steph what a great tribute. We love you guys!

Shannon said...

What a great post about your grandfather. And, how wonderful that you have these great pics of your family together with him. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Jancee said...

Steph, what a special opportunity you had to be there together as a family when your grandfather passed away, I'm sure the spirit was very strong... so thankful for the knowledge that families are forever.
all our love, Jancee