Feb 12, 2013

the piano...

I have to admit, before I started this
little project I was intimidated
and thought I bit off way more than
I could chew...
I had looked at different blogs and 
figured I could give it a try!
So with the help of my dad, we got it
all taken apart, keys out and taped
up to sand and prime!
The sanding wasn't too bad - I did make
the mistake of using a stripper to help take
the stain off and I didn't need too.. It made
more of a mess than anything else!

I never got a real before pic - started to take it apart 
we broke the legs getting it up the stairs so
my dad whipped this stand up!!!





 Once it was all sanded, I got it 
primed - I think it took around 
5 cans doing 2 coats.
I got the sanding and priming done
before Thanksgiving but never 
found the color I was looking for..
Then with the holidays and the trip
to San Francisco the piano was put on
hold! While I was in Salt Lake for 
New Years I went to IKEA and on my
way out, I spotted a stool and it was the 
exact color I wanted so I had to buy it!!!
I finally found the spray paint at Home
Depot - Rustoleum and the color is Lagoon..
I recruited my friend Josie to help me out
and get me started on the paint! We were
both nervous but it was the perfect color.
I ended up using 5-6 cans - 3-4 coats
of paint.








Next my dad and I got it all but back together...
Good thing I took pics of the key cover cuz we had
to fix that 2 times but other than that it went together
perfectly!!!!

the pictures just don't do this color justice!!!!
Once again I had to recruit Josie to come and help
me glaze - I had never done it but we knocked 
it out in one morning! I love how the glaze looks!
Then I used a Polycrylic and did 2 top coats,
some areas got 3!
I still needed to come up with something to cover the
top where the brass was showing. I do like the look of the
brass but don't know if I want to leave it exposed.
The woods teacher at the high school helped me
out and carved a design in a piece of wood to
cover that piece so I didn't have to put the mirror back on!!!
The foot board piece I did the paisley stencil and 
stained it black -ebony. I had used a dark 
brown but didn't like it so my dad sanded it down
and I started over with the stencil. I'm so 
happy with how the stencil looks with the
turquoise - it breaks up all the color!
We got it moved into the house and I absolutely LOVE it!!!
I still need to get it tuned but we are done with the
piano project!


Now I just need a bench or a cute chair!!!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

LOVE it!! Good work!